Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm Pretty Fed Up with This

If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. I do not mean to offend anyone with this post. (Isn't that last sentence promising? "I do not mean to offend anyone with this post." Oh, great.)

Anyway, this post is not going to be about the normal things that I write about. It's going to be about church, of all things.

I've been thinking about this for a while. The American church is, pretty much, putting on a show. I have even been to a church building (I'm not calling it a "church" because a "church" is actually a group of people) that was literally set up like a theater with a stage and high seats.

You know, I think it's just a little bit strange that we are spending so much money on the church buildings that we don't need, when some people, far away and close to home, don't get dental care, a place to sleep, clothes, and food.

There's a song by the lead singer of Switchfoot called, "Instead of a Show." He's basically describing that he "hates all of your show, hates all of your show." I totally agree with that.

Jesus actually said, "When you pray, don't do it to be seen. Go in your room and shut the door."

I also have another "thing" about today's church.

Waiters and waitresses normally get below minimum wage for their salary. Sometimes these people are single parents, just trying to feed their family. Others are college students trying to supplement their income.

Now, when so many people do not tip much, how are these waiters and waitresses supposed to make any money at all? No, this is not a guilt trip, but don't you think it's kind of odd that Christians tip very, very little most of the time? See, I most definitely cannot say that all Christians barely tip, but I'm afraid that it is true with many of them. I don't know why it's like this, but shouldn't it be the other way around?

As Christians, we are supposed to be generous and love other people. I can guarantee that anybody who gives to the needy or poor will be rewarded. Now, I'm just wondering why more Christians aren't tipping much. Wouldn't it be cool if every single Jesus follower in America started tipping ridiculous amounts? In my opinion, that would ROCK!!!!

I think it's pretty neat that the money that we use is all God's, but he says that when we give away his money, he will pay us back. Now, that's something to unravel when you're bored!

One more thing. If you would like to help a child in a TERRIBLE situation (sometimes these families in third-world countries have to sell their kids or send them away for money), please visit Compassion Internationals website.

Compassion International is a Christian organization that runs a child sponsorship programs through that country's local churches. This is not a poor child who lives in government housing that you are helping when you sponsor, this is a kid who lives in a shack. Literally.

My dad has gone on many missions trips with Compassion International, and these kids come out of the WORST poverty imaginable and get clean water, food, clothing, Sunday School, dental care, and an education. Some of the children who have formerly been sponsored and grown up have turned around and sponsored other children. This is a life changing thing, and it's easy, too.

Thank you for reading all of this rambling on and on. :) I'm just passionate about these subjects, so it's easy for me to write a LOT about them.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I agree with you. Christians in America are selfish, stingy, and self-loving. We have been talking about the same thing a lot in our house lately. Please post this on Rubies! Great discussion topic. I'm not sure, though about the tipping thing. Why not give your money instead to a charitable organization that you know will bless people in need and the money won't be wasted on things that aren't glorifying to God. I'm glad you are passionate about these things.

julia said...

Money doesn't have to be spent by a poor or needy person to glorify God. I don't think that buying groceries or a similarly important thing is glorifying God, but it's needed.

Also, as I explained in the post, some of these waitresses are single moms trying to support their families. Tipping more will bless them, and they are in need.

I know that maybe some people waste money buying drugs and alchohol, but I am willing to take that risk. Normally, someone who gets tips and less than minimum wage would not squander the money like that.

I understand that some people do. Other people (the sensible people -even God loving people) spend it in the right way. I don't think a normal looking woman who is waiting on you quite kindly is going to spend the money on things like that. Maybe the case would be different if it was a scruffy looking man.

Christine said...

I totally understand your view. Maybe I'm just more cautious with my money than you are. :D I guess what I meant was that usually, charitable organizations are Christian (I would only donate my money to a Christian one.) Then, they can not only meet those people's physical needs, but also the spiritual ones. And we have to remember that Jesus is the only One who can truly satisfy our desires. Money can't do that. So, maybe instead of making huge tips (or in addition) share the love of Jesus with your waiter by the way you act and maybe they will see something different in you.

julia said...

I totally understand.