
I went to see the new movie out called Wall-e. It is about a small trash compactor in a world full of pollution. His job is to clean up the trash every day, and pile up the small squares of trash that he gathers.
One day a spaceship comes, and drops off a robot that is looking for life on the earth. Wall-e falls in love with her, and gives her his most treasured possession- his plant that he found, held by a dirty shoe.
Once he gives "Eve" the plant, she shuts it in her "stomach," and closes up. Wall-e ties a string of lights around her, and does his job while pulling her around with him. When a thunderstorm comes, he repeatedly gets struck by lightning as he holds an umbrella over Eve to protect her from the rain.
After a while, the spaceship comes back, to take Eve away. Wall-e follows this spaceship, and learns that the people on board the ship cannot come back to Earth, because the "Operation Recolonize" has failed, and the earth is too polluted. He tries to help Eve get the plant into a chamber that will then set the spaceship's course to Earth.
One might think that Wall-e is about pollution, and how we need to stop ruining the Earth. At the beginning of the movie, it really seems like the whole film was going to be centered on that.
But it isn't.
The day after I saw the movie, my dad came up to me and said that Wall-e is really about man and wife, and how God wants men to treat women. He told me this,
"Wall-e is the the Adam figure in this story. He has a job that he does faithfully, but he gets lonely. So a female robot comes down from the sky. Her name in the movie is actually Eve, so there is no doubting that the writer of this film means for this to be the point. Well, Wall-e gives her the plant, and she puts it in her 'stomach' and closes up, while saying, 'Directive.' In reality, making, and taking care of life, is the woman's directive.
"When they get on the spaceship, everyone wants to destroy the plant, the life. Wall-e is ready to kill himself to protect it, and Eve. He valiantly gets himself struck by lightning and smashed repeatedly, as long as the plant and Eve stay safe. This is how a man should act for a woman and her child. Everyone wants to destroy the life, and he protects it with all he has."
In the movie, there is a Satan figure, too. It is a robotic wheel, named Otto, who wants everyone on board this "cruise spaceship" to please himself, no one else. He tries to get rid of the plant, and keep the cruiser in space.
This movie is very complex, although it looks like a movie for little kids. I reccomend it for everybody.
6 comments:
Nice movie review. I think I'll go see the movie. I like deep meanings that are hard to find, although this one doesn't sound too hard for people who have their eyes open!
Mom
i loved reading about wall-e even though i havent seen the movie yet
Julia,
Ok, now I REALLY want to see the movie. I liked your review. I love movies with hidden meanings. The adult reveiwer/newspaper writer at the New Gazette did not seem to see anything like this though. I don't trust him now if he can't see meaning in something like this! Thanks for the review.
I have a family member (on Steve's side)who took her son to see The Narnia movie a few years ago something like 5 times. She is an athiest and therefor so is her son. They did not see any of the meaning in the movie (or the books he read by C.S. Lewis) that was clearly there for us Christ followers to see. Sad.
Aunt Diana
Hey I loved your movie review it was great. I did see the movie and see how that is the meaning although in the movie Wall-e did make a new name for Eve he called he Eva instead but that still works.
I want pictures of Rick!
Sheesh, I'll get pics of Rick! :) It will be in one of my next posts.
Post a Comment