I have written and talked about this series for a while now, but I just realized that it deserves its own post, since it's so good.
3 things I love about the series:
1). L.M. Montgomery has a really good sense of humor, and projects that into her books. Example: "'No, Diana, I am not dead,' said Anne. 'I think I'm rendered unconscious.' 'Where, Anne, oh where?' asked Carrie Sloane." (Sorry, I just think that's really funny.) Also, L.M. Montgomery quotes other works of literature or drama. Example: "'The quality of mercy is not strained,' giggled Sally." That is actually one of my lines from the play that I'm in!
2). The series covers almost all her life. From 11 years old to about 45, the books tell about pretty much everything.
3). I can read it over and over again, since there are so many books in the series. Only one book have I not read as much as the others, Anne's House of Dreams. That one just isn't as awesome as the others.
Here's a preview of all the books, if you haven't read all eight.
1). Anne of Green Gables- This book is the start of them all. A small orphan girl, named Anne, arrives at Green Gables by mistake. A boy was expected instead of a girl, and Anne has her heart set on staying in Avonlea. She ends up staying, and finds a friend named Diana. They have a bunch of adventures, but mainly misadventures like flavoring a cake with anodyne liniment on accident....
2). Anne of Avonlea- Anne has turned school teacher after she goes to high school. She wants to win the affections of her pupils, but the nasty Pyes might be to much for her to handle.....
3). Anne of the Island- Anne goes to college, Redmond to be exact, with her friends, Priscilla Grant, Stella Maynard, and Philippa Gordon. A boy named Roy Gardner wants to steal Anne's heart.....
4). Anne of Windy Poplars- Anne, with her newly earned B.A. moves to Summerside to become a school teacher for three years, while her fiancee gets a medical degree. Once more, feisty pupils might make her have to resign from her job.....
5). Anne's House of Dreams- Anne gets married, and with her dream husband, moves into her dream house at Four Winds. New friends like Captain Jim and Miss Cornelia support her while she tries to befriend the evasive and tragically beautiful Leslie Moore.....
6). Anne of Ingleside- Anne, her husband, and her six children (Jem, Walter, Shirley, Nan, Di, and Rilla) all make an efforts to run a happy home. One day, Anne realizes that her beloved is not acting like he loves her anymore.....
7). Rainbow Valley- Mainly a story of Anne's children and the new kids at the manse, this book is one filled with fun loving kids. Soon, a runaway girl named Mary Vance shows up in the manse barn out back.....
8). Rilla of Ingleside- The most intense of the series, this is best to read when you are really really happy, since at the end it can be kind of depressing. This book is about Anne's youngest daughter, Rilla, during the 1st World War. Three of her brothers go off to war, and she's wondering if three will come back......
I would write more about the books, but I don't want to ruin them for anybody who reads my blog. I have a good idea for the next post too, so I shall write that one and finish this one before the other idea slips my mind. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment