Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Won a Lab Coat


On Saturday, I went to the open "house" for the new Scripps Research Institute's new building here in South Florida. It was pretty cool, with some booths, free pins, pens, and more, and explosions all around.

When my family walked in the door, a lady greeted us and gave us these "Scripps Quizzes." If a person answered all the questions right, they would win a free lab coat.

So, my family excitedly rallied around the papers to see if we could fill in some answers. We got about three. Then, we realized that we needed to go find the answers to the other ones (the answers were in various booths and tours around Scripps).

After about five minutes of searching, we were standing in line for a tour. I was feverishly checking if I was sure that I did not know the rest of the answers, since there was a limited amount of lab coats. (I'm not sure why, but the name "lab coat" is enough to make me want one. Bad.)

I thought that, since the line of the tour was so long, I would never get a lab coat. I was bitterly disappointed.

Note that I am not ashamed of what was about to happen next. Note also that the girls who I asked for the answers were not ashamed of what they did. We just did it in secret.

Yes, I walked up to a group of girls wearing their newly won lab coats, and asked them for the answers. They filled in my sheet for me, and I went to claim my lab coat.

My lab coat.

I was filled with pride, as I walked up to the table of the lab coats. With a renewed gleam in my eye, I strutted back down to my parents, displaying my white lab coat.

My family was thrilled. My father even wrote a post about it on his blog, Letters from Kamp Krusty. I feel as though I have won some new respect, as people stare, wishing that they too, had lab coats.

No comments: