Thursday, April 9, 2009

Awesome (As in Awe-Inspiring)

I recently found this website while researching "moons." I think it's pretty cool, but what's coolest is the pictures. I have spent so much time ignoring outer space (I normally pay attention to it only when I have to for school) that I haven't really thought about much of it.

Now, when I found this website, I saw that it has "profiles" on each of the planets. It also has a bunch of pictures for each one. I had trouble believing that all of this was really true, that we are actually on a small speck of a planet, hurling through space. Of course, this hurtling is along with about 3 billion stars, 8 planets (maybe more), billions of asteroids, lots of black holes, and millions of galaxies.

I found some really neat pictures that I would love to show y'all.
Pictures of the Sun:

The picture above is an eclipse. The picture below is an x-ray of the sun.
Mercury:
Venus:
Earth:
Mars:


Jupiter:

This picture is of Jupiter and it's moon, Io. Io is to the right.
Saturn:


Uranus:

Neptune:


Pluto:

Sorry about the bad picture- this is the best one that I found!!!
Milky Way Galaxy:


It's a bit ironic that we can have such an excellent picture of our galaxy, but a stinky picture of Pluto..... :)
Not sure what this is called exactly, but it's something newly found. You can read the article here.

Looks uncannily like a hand, no?
Follow this link to the website where I found most of these pictures. It's awesome!!! I could literally spend hours just looking at all the pictures. And it's not all astronomy, either. It's got stuff about things from wind and currents to the moon and famous explorers.

I just think it's amazing that there is so much stuff out in space. So much beautiful stuff, I should say. There's hardly an ugly thing out there.

1 comment:

penguin person said...

I have always thought that outer space was really cool. I love looking into the sky and seeing all the beautiful stars. These pics are awesome! I really like the last one. I think it looks like a hand with fire coming out of it. LOL