Monday, June 22, 2009

Rix Mix

A tortoise lives in my neighborhood. Well, there are a lot of tortoises that live in my neighborhood, but one is special. His name is Rick, and he likes to dance (see video).

I have previously written about Rick, so I won't really describe him in detail (anyway, the video explains him really well), but the purpose of this post is a recipe that I call Rix Mix.

Rix Mix is a treat that I give to Rick sometimes. I hadn't made it in a while until this evening. Here's how to make it (I invented it myself).

Rix Mix

Ingredients:

1). 1 stick of celery

2). 5 baby-cut carrots

3). 1/2 of an apple, whatever kind. I use Granny Smith, cuz they're tasty.

4). Optional: 1 handful of broccoli slaw

Procedure:

1). Wash celery stick and cut longways into two strips. Cut strips into bite-size pieces.

2). Cut baby carrots into about 8 pieces each.

3). Wash apple, then cut from top to bottom. Start in the middle with the knife, and shave about 1/4 inch off of the apple side. Repeat about 4 times. Stack "apple chips" and slice through to make bite-size bits.

4). Stir all the ingredients together, including the optional handful of broccoli slaw.

I normally give Rick about 1 handful of this stuff. He really likes it! :) If you don't have wild tortoises running around your neighborhood, you can give Rix Mix to any other pet like a hamster or something...... Or you can eat it yourself. It's pretty tasty!!!

No comments: