Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Point-Counterpoint: Is it More Fun to Give, or to Recieve, on Christmas? (Written by me and my dad)

Giving is awesome!

Julia Hansen, 12


I really like to give more than recieve because of a few reasons. I really like thinking about who I'm going to buy presents for and deciding what to get them! I love wrapping, too. Spending a lot of time figuring out how to wrap the presents is a blast for me!

When I'm done with wrapping, I come up with the awesomest clues for my family members. I do my best to make them as hopelessly complicated as possible, due to the fact that I love mysteriousness when it comes to presents!

Sure, it's fun to unwrap gifts, but for me it's more enjoyable to wrap them, as I think about that person, and how much he or she means to me. Sure, it's fun playing with the things that I get, but you know what's cooler? Watching people enjoy the gifts that I have planned, chosen, paid for, and wrapped carefully. It's wonderful to know that I've somehow brought joy, even a little, into someone's life!

No, actually I like getting stuff for myself

Brant Hansen, 39

Actually, I like getting awesome stuff for me. There's nothing like Christmas morning, seeing the bright looks in others' eyes as they see the twinkle in my eyes as I get awesome stuff for myself.

It makes my heart warm. There's something about that feeling, when I open a present, and find something that I think will amuse me, or perhaps make my life easier in order to free up more time for my amusements for me.

As a dad, I just love that sleepy look I have when I first come down the stairs, and see the tree all lit up. My smile is just magical! The only thing that can dampen the joy: When I get something that doesn't really suit my tastes, and there's that shock, and then lingering disappointment.

It's not magical to know that somebody didn't spend enough, or think enough, to really make Christmas special for me, like when my daughter made that ornament for me. Why would I want an ornament made out of construction paper? Think, folks.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Ha ha ha! This is pretty funny!