Sunday, June 10, 2007

Space Shuttle Atlantis

I went to see the space shuttle Atlantis lift off on Friday, June 8th. Man, was it amazing. It was an evening lift-off at 7:38 pm, so it was kind of dusky.

In the picture, we didn't get this close but it IS a picture of Atlantis.

The awesome place that we went to see the shuttle was in Titusville. We were just across the about-two-miles-wide-intracostal from the N.A.S.A. thingymajigy. There were designated parking lots on grass that cost twenty dollars to park there! We parked in one of those. :)

Once we got to a parking place in Titusville, we waited about two or three hours. But boy, was it worth the wait! At about two minutes from liftoff time, everyone was sitting on the tops of their cars.

You could hear multiple radios on about the shuttle and counting down, "10.....9....8....7....6....5....4....3....2....1.... LIFTOFF!!!!!!!!!"

At first, I couldn't see the shuttle. Then, I noticed a glowing thing with smoke all around it rising into the sky. It was like a little arrow of light. Smoke came out from all sides!

Soon in just seconds, it was high in the sky. Then about half a minute later, I was staring, openmouthed at the shuttle that was starting to look like a star in the sky. Then it disapeared, leaving a trail of smoke behind that kind of looked like a tornado. It had all kinds of different colors in it.

After that, I got in a friend's car and tried to get to a Sonny's grill. But the traffic was so heavy it took just about an hour to get there! Finally, I got my meal of Chicken Tenders!!!!! :) I will never, ever forget the launch of the space shuttle, Atlantis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It WAS awesome. I'm so glad it took off, after we made the trip, since last time, they cancelled at the last minute.

And I liked the food at Sonny's, too!

Dad P. Hansen

julia said...

You are right in both subjects. I LOVED my chicken tenders and also, I loved the space shuttle. I wish I had seen the Discovery, too. That would have been nice since we had already driven down there. :) TeaSue

Kaitielyn said...

LUCKY!!! Now you have made me jealous.
P.S. - you spelled ''tornado'' wrong. it doesn't have an -e- at the end.

julia said...

Oh.:) Thanks.:) Sorry if I did make you jealous...:) TeaSue

julia said...

But it is free, if you don't count the parking and mabey some food and water bottles, if you ever get the chance to go. :) We tried to go to another earlier by like, mabey 6 mos or a year ago, and while we were on the road, almost there, my dad told me that it had been scratched for takeoff. We just wet our feet at the beach there then left for home. :) TeapotS